[Samba] file permissions

Bradley W. Langhorst brad at langhorst.com
Fri Apr 26 08:47:16 GMT 2002

> you need to join admin and joe to the smbusers group
> and set the permissions on user1 and user2 to at least 775
> for that to happen.
 Does this mean add them to the admins group?  I have already done that, if
 it means something different can you please give more detailed explanation.
nope i was saying you should make all of these user's files write
accessable to each other - but in light of your comments below i don't
think that is what you want.

> I think that is an unusual configuration though - most users have
> exclusive write access to their home dirs (only root can also write
> there)
> This unusual config may be because Im looking at things from a windoze
> network poing of view.  Take a small office situation for example: an office
> manager and some workers.  The workers need only access to thier
> directories, but the office manage may need to save files for the workers to
> correct or retype or what ever.
> What would be the prefered way of setting groups and permissions for a
> situation loke this?
I think the usual way is to put users into their own group and managers
into their own group
the user directories would be owned by the users but the group is that
of the managers

That way no user can touch another user's files. Using your example
drwxr xr x	admin	admins		admin
drwxr xr x	joe	admins		joe
drwxrwxr x	user1	admins  	user1
drwxrwxr x	user2	admins	        user2

if you need a place for members of smbusers to share files with each
other you can add a shared directory owned by root with group smbusers
and permissions 770

> you could make joe and admin admin users using the
> admin users directive
if you already did this and joe and "admin" dont have write access to
everything then something is wrong.

brad