[Samba] smbfs directory listing problem

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Tue Apr 23 13:18:09 GMT 2002

On Tue, 23 Apr 2002, Hanser, Kevin wrote:

> I have been searching newsgroups and whatnot for over an hour trying to find
> out a few things:
> first, who maintains smbfs now..??

I do.

The correct place to look for maintainer of a part of the linux kernel is
the MAINTAINERS file in the kernel source (usually also installed by
kernel-docs type packages).

Google would have told you that as well ("smbfs maintainer"), except that
Debian for reasons of unknown confusion have a package also named smbfs.

> second, what can I do about this directory listing problem?
> 	is this a known bug, and is there a fix?

It's a previously reported problem (actually I think there have been more
than one bug with this effect). But it's not know what is causing this and
only some people are able to trigger it.

> Here's a capture of some of the commands and what they're returning:
> [root at blackpudding cp_live]# ls -l | wc -l
>     1244
> [root at blackpudding cp_live]# ls -l | wc -l
>     385
> [root at blackpudding cp_live]# ls -l | wc -l
>     385
> [root at blackpudding cp_live]# ls -l | wc -l
>     385
> [root at blackpudding cp_live]# ls -l | wc -l
>     385

Are there any messages from the kernel after the first or second listings?
(dmesg, look for smb* stuff).

If not, could you take a tcpdump and send me/make it available for
download. (tcpdump -w filename -s 1600 port 139)

Btw, you haven't mentioned the samba and kernel versions you use.

/Urban