[Samba] ARGH!!! Samba and Re-installing Windows 2000

Van Sickler, Jim vansickj-eodc at Kaman.com
Tue Apr 16 08:07:01 GMT 2002

Jim,

  Did you run the Microsoft Personal Security Advisor (MPSA)
on this machine?  I seem to remember having problems with
shares after setting RestrictAnonymous=2. Setting it to
1 fixed the issues.

RestrictAnonymous Values and their basic effect:
0 None. Rely on default permissions
1 Do not allow enumeration of SAM accounts and names
2 No access without explicit anonymous permissions

The red X's are okay, I think;  Win2k restores mapped
drive links, but doesn't connect to them until you
explicitly do so.  This saves a lot of bandwidth by
not handhaking idle mappings, and speeds up shutdown
and sleeping by not having to handshake disconnections.
It's actually a good thing, I think.  Remember Win9x's
hang on shutdown?  That was due to mapped drive issues.

HTH
Jim