[Samba] Samba as a domain member HOWTO - With LINK

Buchan Milne bgmilne at cae.co.za
Mon Apr 15 08:55:02 GMT 2002

You don't cover using winbind for authenticating other services (ie
mail, sshd, login etc). This is a bit more tricky, as it involves more
pam setups.

You may want to see the article I wrote for mandrakeuser.org a while
back (for Mandrake 8.0 or 8.1, it's much easier in 8.2):

http://www.mandrakeuser.org/connect/csamba5.html#winbind

You should note that winbind setup in Mandrake 8.2 is almost trivial, as
/etc/pam.d/system-auth-winbind is provided (replace service=system-auth
with service=system-auth-winbind for each service you want to
authenticate with winbind, or use it to replace the original system-auth
  if you want all services to auth with winbind), and the nsswitch.conf
entries are added when you install the winbind rpm. The only thing you
need to do is uncomment the winbind stuff in the provided smb.conf, and
join the domain.

Regards,
Buchan

> Message: 10
> Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 21:09:10 +0200 (CEST)
> From: <dj at 4ict.com>
> To: <dj at 4ict.com>
> Cc: <samba at lists.samba.org>
> Subject: Re: [Samba] Samba as a domain member HOWTO - With LINK
>
> Hello All,
>
> I've written down my experiences in setting up a Samba server as a member
> of a Windows domain. The goal is to have this document added to
> documentation that is distributed with Samba and is available on the Samba
> website.
>
> I'm providing it here in html format. But it is writting in Abiword. What
> is the correct type needed to be usable within the Samba distribution ?
>
> This is a first edition and probably will contain errors. So I'm
> submitting it here to be checked by all of you.
>
> You can find the howto at :
>
> 	http://www.sin.khk.be/~dj/
>
> (sorry about forgetting the link in my previous mail)
>
> So please send your comments to me so I can improve this text.
>
> Thanks,
> Tim

Cellphone * Work            +27 82 472 2231 * +27 21 8828820x202