[Samba] disable spoolss - not working

Gerald (Jerry) Carter jerry at samba.org
Mon Apr 15 06:11:02 GMT 2002

On Fri, 8 Mar 2002, Mike Weller wrote:

> All I want to do is get Windows to use LANMAN again, because I get
> garbled output with SPOOLSS.  If I can fix the latter problem instead of
> trying to figure out how to do LANMAN, then that would be cool as well.

I just checked an NT 4.0 client against the latest SAMBA_2_2 cvs tree and
"disable spoolss" seems ok.

The garbled output you see is probably due to
an uninitialized driver. Try settying the page orientitation
of the printer (on the samba host) from landscape to portrait
and back again (clikcing on ok or apply between each change).
This normally causes the client to issue a SetPrinter()
with a valid device mode.

However, the garbled output could be due to a missing
SPLUserModePrinterDriver registry key.  I can't think of a simple
way to set this on the server w/o writing some Win32 client code.

> In my debug output, why am I seeing "nt_open_pipe: Opening pipe
> \spoolss."  with "disable spoolss = yes"?  Whatever's causing this
> error seems to be triggered in "error packet at smbd/nttrans.c(554)
> cmd=162 (SMBntcreateX) NT_STATUS_NETWORK_ACCESS_DENIED".  Also, what's
> "smb_uid=173"?  That's not related to a passwd uid, because that
> doesn't exist on my system.

NT always tries to open the spoolss pipe when a server supports any RPC
pipe. However, this "disable spoolss" parameter was put in before
the move to NT stataus codes.  It still seems ok with my testing,
but if it has broken in some way I've not noticed, then this would be
the most likely reason.

cheers, jerry