[Samba] Samba PDC: Windows 9x clients cannot share

Juhan Kundla juhan.kundla at mail.ee
Thu Apr 11 08:19:02 GMT 2002

Ühel ilusal päeval [10.04.2002] kirjutas Bruce Ferrell <bferrell at baywinds.org>:
> I've seen this happen when the smbpasswd file and /etc/passwd weren't in
> sync.  For whatever reason, samba doesn't like it and errors out when
> the clients try to get lists.

Hello again!

I checked and the smpasswd and passwd file are in sync -- well, at least
both of those files contain the same users. I mean, every username in
/etc/passwd has the corresponding username in /etc/samba/smbpasswd and
vice versa. IMHO, those files cannot be more in sync than this. Still i
get the same errormessage telling me that the list of users cannot be
retrieved from Samba PDC when trying to create shares on Windows '9x
clients.

I've noticed, that there is an other thread in this Samba mailing list
about the similar problem. So what is this? A bug? A feature? This is
very annoying to my users (and to me too, because i get hate looks all
the day). Is there somebody, who has gotten the damn thing working?
Perhaps this is Debian specific. I am using Debian Woody at the moment.

Still seeking help,
Juhan

--
In the early morning hour, when the pub was closing, my grandpa
emptied his tankard, stood up and said his famous words:
  She's always late. Her ancestors arrived on the JuneFlower.

http://juku.kicks-ass.net/