[Samba] linuxbox as a client in a win-nt network

amoote at ivhs.com amoote at ivhs.com
Mon Apr 8 08:03:05 GMT 2002

I am by no means an expert, but I believe you can achieve both NT
authentication AND outlook compatibility.

The first would be done using:   smbclient -j [+options]
This would allow you to connect to a domain server.

The second is said to be possible using Evolution and Ximian Connector
(http://www.ximian.com/products/connector/download.html)
I have not used connector, as we are a Notes shop.

Best of luck!

Regards,

Alan B. Moote
Systems Administrator
MARK IV Industries
tel: 905.624.7908
fax: 905.625.6197

                      Axel Zindler
                      <a.zindler at gmx.de        To:       samba at lists.samba.org
                      >                        cc:
                      Sent by:                 Subject:  [Samba] linuxbox as a client in a win-nt network
                      samba-admin at lists
                      .samba.org

                      04/08/02 08:44 AM

Hi all,

I have SuSE 7.3 running on my laptop for a couple of months now and shifted
mailing, addressbooks  and most of the other stuff from win to linux.

Now I'm working on a site in ireland with only win-nt computers connected
with roaming profiles to servers in germany :(
I was wondering if Samba can be used to connect to such a win-nt network
and
transfer the files I need to transfer.
Is the ftp-like samba client the only possibility and how to do this, if
the
IP-address is being changed all the time I logon because of a
DHCP-connection?
What about encryption of passwords, since I don't have any rights to change
something on the win-nt server side (I've read something in the doc about
switching off encryption on the windows side - at least for win98 clients
in the
standard config, where samba is used as a server)
Is there a possiblity to connect to a microsoft exchange server to fetch my
emails, rather than converting MS outlook pst-files after a couple of
months
to mbox-files?

thanks

axel