[Samba] ACL doesn't work well....

Jean-Rene Cormier jrclist at cipanb.ca
Tue Apr 2 12:36:02 GMT 2002

Hi, I'm having a hard time with my Samba server and ACLs.

Here's the thing, I need a simple file server that allows me to have a
shared directory that everybody in a group can read and that some users
can read/write and access control to the file using the Windows security
dialog. So I recompiled the kernel with ACL support and recompiled Samba
with ACL support too.

This is part of my Samba config

[global]
        workgroup = WORKGROUP
        server string = SERVER
        security = SHARE
        encrypt passwords = yes
        username map = /etc/samba/private/usermap
        log file = /var/log/samba/%m
        max log size = 50
        load printers = No

        ldap admin dn = "CN=Admin,dc=mydomain,dc=com"
        ldap server = localhost
        ldap port = 389
        ldap suffix = "dc=mydomain,dc=com"

[SomeShare]
        comment = SomeShare for group
        path = /some/dir
        valid users = @group
        read only = No
        nt acl support = yes

Now I want a certain user (let's call him bob) to have full control over
that share (BTW bob is a member of group) is this how I should've set my
share or is there a better way to do this?

I am sorry if this as been asked often or is documented everywhere but I
don't have time to do more research right now as I have some other stuff
due really soon and I though this would be the fastest way.

If I wasn't clear enough in my explaination please let me know.

Thanks

Jean-Rene Cormier