Data corruption with samba 2.2.1a

Dan Maas dmaas at dcine.com
Sun Sep 30 15:39:02 GMT 2001

I've been using Samba 2.0.7-4 (Redhat RPM) successfully on a Linux machine
to share files with a few Win2K clients. Just recently I compiled and
installed Samba 2.2.1a. It seemed to work fine for a while, but occasionally
one of the Windows machines would save a corrupted file to the server...
This mainly happened with a Windows 3D rendering program I use, which
periodically saves 1MB image files on the Samba share. About 1 out of 10 of
these files got "cut off", i.e. only the first 0-800KB were actually stored.

I'm not even 100% sure this is a Samba problem, but I stopped seeing these
corrupted short files when I returned to Samba 2.0.7. The Samba share is
just a plain old Linux ext2 partition, and the server is running kernel
2.4.9-ac10.

I don't have an urgent need to use 2.2.1a, but I thought I should report
this experience... More info available on request; please CC me as I'm not a
subscriber.

Regards,
Dan Maas