ERRSRV - ERRpadpw (Bad Password...

Steven Dahlin Steven_dahlin at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 27 20:19:03 GMT 2001

I am attempting to setup samba 2.2.1a on a Redhat Linux 6.2 box.  When
attempting to run the command: smbclient file://gondola/shareddir -U
tmpuser%tmppass I am getting the error message:

Bad password - name/password pair in a Tree Connect or Session Setup are
invalid.

As far as I can tell I have set everything up correctly.  I have poured
thru the docs as well as the archives of previous messages for any clues
but have not foud any solutions that seem to fit.  The Diagnose text
indicates 4 possible sources of the problem:

- you have shadow passords (or some other password system) but didn't
compile in support for them in smbd
- your "valid users" configuration is incorrect
- you have a mixed case password and you haven't enabled the "password
level" option at a high enough level
- the "path =" line in smb.conf is incorrect. Check it with testparm
- you enabled password encryption but didn't create the SMB encrypted
password file

1)  How do I determine if shadow passwords are involved?

2)  I believe my valid users is correct but here is my smb.conf:

[global]
    netbios name = GONDOLA
    workgroup = BALLOON
    security = user
    encrypt passwords = no

[shareddir]
    comment = Shared Directory
    path = /shareddir
    writeable = yes
    valid users = @alltmpusers
    locking = yes
    create mode = 0444
    directory mode = 0444

[homes]
    comment = Unix home directory space
    path = %H
    writeable = yes
    valid users = %S
    create mode = 0444
    directory mode = 0444
    locking = no

3) Password level and encryption are not a question here.

Does anyone have any ideas or where I might turn to for answers?

Thanks,
Steve