URGENT REPOST: Maximum number of files i

Joel Hammer Joel at HammersHome.com
Fri Sep 21 18:33:02 GMT 2001

For my own education, why are you serving so many shares from one box?
Don't you get performance degradation just from that alone?
Is it 6.4 millions files in all shares or just in one share?
Could you set up shares to serve up fractions of the 6.4 millions files,
like a-d, e-h, etc?
Why don't you set up separate servers? You could put separate servers on the same box
if you want, with each server responsible for a fraction of the files.
Are there different classes of user?
Does each class of user need to access all six million files? If not,
configure samba to offer shares containing files needed by a particular
class of user, instead of all 6.4 million.
Joel