Print error if non-root user

Michels, Gustavo [EES/BR] gustavo.michels at emersonenergy.com
Thu Sep 20 09:28:02 GMT 2001

Hi there!

I am having a strange problem here while trying to print from a w2k client
to a samba server. Here is the scenario:

- RH linux 7.1, kernel 2.4.9
- samba_2_2 cvs code, using winbind
- cups 1.1.10

I've got a few printers and didn't have any problems so far, but only with
one printer there are problems. It's an HP Color LaserJet 8500N. If I try to
print to it using a regular domain account, w2k returns me the page failed
to print. If I try to print with the same domain account, but defined as an
'admin user' in smb.conf, it prints normally.

Ok, could be permission problems on the samba spool directory, but if I try
to print to another printer using a regular domain account (not admin user),
printing is ok. Anyway, /var/spool/samba is chmod 01777.

I guess it's a driver issue. I have tried several drivers for this printer,
from 8500 PCL and PS to 8550 PCL and PS, all from HP. The only driver that
printed for regular users was the default w2k driver (HP Color LaserJet 8500
PS). The problem is the output with this driver is very rough, sometimes
mirrored.

Using LPRng, the output is OK but then I keep getting 'communication errors'
and postscript errors while printing to it, so I decided to move to cups
(and those communication errors disappeared).

Anyone with a similar setup? Any ideas?

cheers
Gustavo