windows printers mounting on a samba 2.0.10

Joel Hammer Joel at HammersHome.com
Wed Sep 19 14:51:04 GMT 2001

On Wed, Sep 19, 2001 at 09:07:58PM +0200, Dennis Micheelsen wrote:

> Hejsa/Hello samba,
>
>   i was wundering is it possible to mount a printer on a windows box
>   as a unix printer available over samba ????
>
>   hope you see where i'm getting at ???

Yes. The windows box must offer it as a share.
Use smbclient -L windowsbox to see if it is offered.
Then smbclient \\\\windowsbox\\printershare
You may need to give a password.
Then, to print a unix file on your local unix machine, type:
print FileToPrint
Now, windows WILL NOT FILTER YOUR JOB. If you want windows to filter your
job, you will have to take a different approach.
The print job must have been filtered before you send it.
You might get away with plain text.
If this all works, you are ready to set up a print queue on your unix box
which will:
1. Filter your job.
2. Send the job to a temporary file
3. Send the file via smbclient to the windows box.

I  will not tell you how to set up a queue and filter. That is the hard
part. Just look at a current print filter and substitute the print command
below.
The print command to run once you have got your print job filtered and into
a temporary file is:
smbclient \\\\windowsbox\\printershare -N -c "print temporaryfile"
The -N avoids being asked for a password.
All of this must be tweaked, of courese.
There are other ways to do this, but, this is how I would go about it.
Joel
P.S. NONE OF THIS NEEDS SAMBA
All you need is smbclient, which is not really part of samba.