Samba server not being seen on other subnets.

Arnold Andrews X-324-4292 aandrews at eng.okla.seagate.com
Mon Sep 17 15:03:03 GMT 2001

> 1. I have a samba server which works great in its subnet, but isn't visible
> to windows machines in other subnets.  It is samba 2.2.1a running on a
> RedHat 7.1 box.  any ideas?

You need to use WINS whenever you cross a subnet.

See the documentation below.

(Clipped from Samba HOWTO-Collection
http://your_samba_server:901/swat/help/Samba-HOWTO-Collection.html#AEN341 )

------------- Begin Included Message -------------

2.3.5. WINS Lookup
A WINS (Windows Internet Name Server) service is the equivaent of the
rfc1001/1002 specified NBNS (NetBIOS Name Server). A WINS server stores the
names and IP addresses that are registered by a Windows client if the TCP/IP
setup has been given at least one WINS Server IP Address.

To configure Samba to be a WINS server the following parameter needs to be added
to the smb.conf file:

	wins support = Yes

To configure Samba to use a WINS server the following parameters are needed in
the smb.conf file:

	wins support = No
	wins server = xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the IP address of the WINS server.

e WINS server.