Setting ACLs via Windows client

Michels, Gustavo [EES/BR] gustavo.michels at emersonenergy.com
Mon Sep 17 13:26:02 GMT 2001

Hello,

A little question about ACLs; my test server is set up with XFS and has
support for ACLs. I have built the latest samba cvs source with acl support
and as far as I can see from the configure results, acls were detected and
were compiled.

Note: I am using winbind to authenticate the users.

Can I set the acls permissions from a windows 2000 client? I am trying to do
this for a while without success... After I set the folder's permission in
windows (add any user/group from the domain), looking again from the client
does not show the change I have just made in the permissions... Anyone with
similar problems?

The folder is chmoded 01777 and I am trying to make this change using a
domain account declared as an admin user in smb.conf.

Here are the results of getfacl:

[root at splus001 files]# getfacl departments/
# file: departments/
# owner: root
# group: root
user::rwx
group::rwx
other::rwx

I also tried reading the manpages of setfacl but without any visible
success.

Can anyone help me or tell me where I can find more detailed documentation
on setting ACLs for Samba?

Cheers
Gustavo