Serving NT4 print drivers from Samba

Gerald Carter gcarter at valinux.com
Sun Sep 16 16:50:03 GMT 2001

On Fri, 14 Sep 2001, T. William Schmidt wrote:

> Hello fellow Samba users,
>
> I am attempting to serve NT4 printer drivers from a Samba 2.2.0 server

you definitley want Samba 2.2.1a (maybe even get the latest SAMBA_2_2
cds)

> running on AIX 4.3.2.  I have configured my smb.conf per the
> PRINTER_DRIVER2.txt and while I can indeed deliver drivers to NT4 clients
> via the APW, the user interaction is not the same as with a real NT4 print

See the updated Printing chapter in the Samba-HOWTO-Collection.pdf file
in the 2.2.1a distribution.

Don't use the 'printer driver' parameter in smb.conf.
It is deprecated.

> this works as advertised except that the user must browse the driver
> share and navigate down until he finds the driver to complete the
> installation.

I don't understand what you mean here.  Do you mean the user
who is connecting to the printer?

Ahh....I'll bet I understand.  ok.  don't use 'printer driver'.
Re-read the printing chapter in the HOWTO collection
(PRINTER_DRIVER2.txt is outdated).  Upgrade to 2.2.1a.
Now install the drivers on the Samba server.  Don't just copy
the driver files to the [print$] share manually.

If I had guessed wrong, give me some more details on your
exact problem.  I'm a little confused by your description
as it is.

cheers, jerry
 www.samba.org              SAMBA Team              jerry_at_samba.org
 www.plainjoe.org                                jerry_at_plainjoe.org