Printing with SAMBA 2.2 and a Windows 2000 Client... !??

Klaus Schmidt klaschmi at gmx.net
Sat Sep 15 02:40:02 GMT 2001

Hi there,
can anyone please help me wih the following problem ?

Situation:
I am using Samba 2.2 with SuSE Linux 7.2 (Kernel 2.4) and a Windows 2000
Client.
It is no problem to see the shared files and printer, which is a HP Deskjet
930C, in the network environment and the windows explorer.
The printer is installed and can be used with linux. It is now supposed to
be used as a network printer with the windows 2000 client.

By double-clicking on the printer (installed as lp-raw), windows tells me
that there has to be a driver installed first and opens a dialog box to locate
the printer's .INF file.
I tried different locations there, all with different versions of a HP
Deskjet 930C driver. The first one is an one year old original from hp. The second
one ist the newest one from the hp homepage. I also tried to use the driver
information from the Windows 2000 CD.

Problem:
After confirmig the path to the .INF file, an error box opens with a =
message, that the driver is not compatible or not available with the =
current version of windows.
(It's the same error box, that appears, when you point to another =
hardware .INF file (i.e. a Monitor's .INF file) and therefore contains =
no printer information).

I also tried another driver with linux, but same result...
I also tried to do a completely new windows 2000 software installation =
(after format c:), but same result...
I use one of the drivers for the deskjet as a local printer with windows =
2000 - with no problems!

Solution:
Could it possibly be a bug in samba 2.2 software or is it a windows 2000 =
problem?
Can anybody please help me, because all over the internet, I didn't find =
any adequate information concerning this problem...=20
I really don't know what to do next...

Thanks for your help, Klaus!

http://www.gmx.net