A bug report

Praise praisetazio at tiscalinet.it
Thu Oct 25 16:49:01 GMT 2001

Il 22:02, giovedì 25 ottobre 2001, Urban Widmark ha scritto:
> On Thu, 25 Oct 2001, Praise wrote:
> > Hi List,
> >
> > I was using Samba 2.0.7, when I noticed a strange thing:
> > when mounting samba shares on windows machines, if the window machine
> > crashes while I am surfing the mounted FS my linux machine crashes too,
> > completely.
>
> What do you mean by completely? (yes, I have to ask)
> Oops? Logfiles? Error messages?

It means that I cant login anymore. My terminal crashes, and I cant login
from both my keyboard and the network. It does not reply to ping too.
And nothing appears into logs.

> Normally (ie the known bug is that) you get Input/Output errors on all
> accesses to the mount when the other end dies. Usually umounting, if
> possible, helps.

This helps when I am not surfing the mounted windows FS.

> > So I updated it to Samba 2.2.1a. I havent checked if this behavior is
> > changed yet (I had no time), but I am trying to install a big software
> > package (300Mb) via network (I got a Linux Samba PDC). After a while the
> > whole network freezes! (and the windows machine freezes too, or course).
> > No ip packed is any more sent on the network after that. I got to run
> > "ifconfig eth0 down - ifconfig eth0 up" to make it work again.
> > This happens all the time.
>
> That sounds more like a problem with the network card/driver.
>
> /Urban

I am gonna check it this night, I will leave my network with a ping -f
running. I will let you know.

Praise