Active Directory Winodws Compatible?

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Wed Oct 24 18:15:02 GMT 2001

On Wed, Oct 24, 2001 at 03:25:43PM -0700, Ayson, Alison {Info~Palo Alto} wrote:

> Here's my questions:
>
> 1) What is it that 2.2.2 has that 2.0.6 doesn't have which allows
> "security=domain" to work?

Better RPC client and server code. The code in 2.0.6 doesn't understand
the RPC packets from a Win2k client or server correctly, the 2.2.2 code
does.

> 2) Our samba servers running 2.0.6 appear to be ok as long as we switch to
> "security=server"...why is that?

security=server doesn't use the RPC code. It simply proxies the authentication
request over a new SMB connection to the server. Thus it doesn't need to know
anything about the Windows 2000 RPC changes.

Hope this helps,

	Jeremy.