Tech support request (an odd one)

Greg Louis glouis at dynamicro.on.ca
Wed Oct 24 14:22:03 GMT 2001

On 20011022 (Mon) at 1556:44 -0400, Greg Louis wrote:
> If anyone can suggest a fix or workaround for this, it would be much
> appreciated:
>
> Since upgrading from 2.2.1a to 2.2.2 on a 4-processor Linux 2.2 server,
> we have an interesting problem with Office 2000 applications, and
> Microsoft Backup, on Windows 2000 clients: these programs cannot save
> to the user's Homes share (an access-denied error message results).

Egg-all-over-face apology: the above is what I was told but today I was
able to try it for myself and it's not saving that doesn't work.  All
operations on existing files work fine, but new ones can't be created:
When one clicks "save as" and attempts to open (browse to) the drive to
which the home share is mapped, the computer responds that that drive
letter is invalid or that one has no access to that folder.  Any other
share than Homes can be accessed normally.  This problem is not
encountered if the OS is Windows 98 or if the Office version is 97, nor
is it encountered with any non-Microsoft software we have tried.  It
makes no difference whether the home share has or has not the
Browseable option.

Further, if one creates (in Win2000) a shortcut to the folder or drive
and opens the Properties screen, one cannot change tab to General or
Security: the OS complains that the drive letter is invalid.

I'll repeat the config file excerpt so you needn't refer back
to the earlier query.  Note the locking options in the global section.