Misc. Samba questions

Gerald (Jerry) Carter jerry at samba.org
Wed Oct 24 08:31:06 GMT 2001

On Wed, 24 Oct 2001, Steve Snyder wrote:

> > IIRC the username<0x03> netbios name is aunique name which means it can
> > only be registered to the user on one client at a time.  Use nmbdlookup
> > to verify.
>
> When sending a message via WinPopup, one has the option of specifying the
> destination 2 ways: by user name and by machine name.  It is when
> specifying the destination user name that I've seen this behavior.

Right.  That's what I said.  The messenger service netbios name
(0x03) is a unique name meaning it can only be register to a single
address.

Of courswe it is very easy to verify whether or not I am right by
viewing the netbios name cache on the windows clients via
"nbtstat -n".  If I'm right, you will only see the username<0x03> on
one of the clients.

cheers, jerry
 www.samba.org              SAMBA Team              jerry_at_samba.org
 www.plainjoe.org                                jerry_at_plainjoe.org