[despammed] Re: Error messages to console

Toby Johnson public at tobiasly.com
Fri Oct 19 07:29:31 GMT 2001

I had tried that as well. I don't see anything that would send it to the
screen. In fact, I stopped syslogd once and still got the messages. They
even show up on the console when no one is logged in there; it's just
sitting at the login prompt.

Here is my syslog.conf, in case you see anything I don't. The "Bastille"
stuff is from the Bastille Firewall for RedHat:

# Log anything (except mail) of level info or higher.
# Don't log private authentication messages!
*.info;mail.none;authpriv.none;cron.none                /var/log/messages

# The authpriv file has restricted access.
authpriv.*                                              /var/log/secure

# Log all the mail messages in one place.
mail.*                                                  -/var/log/maillog

daemon.*                                                /var/log/daemon

# Log cron stuff
cron.*                                                  /var/log/cron

# Everybody gets emergency messages
*.emerg                                                 *

# Save mail and news errors of level err and higher in a
# special file.
uucp,news.crit                                          /var/log/spooler

# Save boot messages also to boot.log
local7.*                                                /var/log/boot.log
############ BASTILLE ADDITIONS BELOW : #################
# Log warning and errors to the new file /var/log/syslog
*.warn;*.err    /var/log/syslog

# Log all kernel messages to the new file /var/log/kernel
kern.*  /var/log/kernel

# Log all logins to /var/log/loginlog
auth.*;user.*;daemon.none       /var/log/loginlog

########## BASTILLE ADDITIONS CONCLUDED : ###############