win95-98 problems

Chris Ditri chrisd at better-investing.org
Tue Oct 16 07:05:49 GMT 2001

Roberta:

You haven't given much info about your system, but here is a suggestion:

Check the names of your share points -- keep them to 11 characters or
less.  I don't know if this is what is going on with you, but win95/98 can
only handle share points with 11 chars or less.

In other words:

You can't have "\\sambaserver\the place where users keep their files"
it must be much shorter, like:
"\\sambaserver\userfiles"

Windows 2000, on the other hand, can see share names much longer.

Hope it helps.  It drove me nuts when it happened to me!

Chris