W2K, Samba 2.2.1a, naming conflicts when copying folders

Charles Oliver Nutter headius at headius.com
Sat Oct 6 12:42:05 GMT 2001

Here's the situation:

I have an empty "weblogic" folder on my shared home directory, which is on a
debian woody system running samba 2.2.1a. On my local machine, I have a
weblogic folder with the following contents:

weblogic/
	classes/
		weblogic/
			Admin.class

When I try to copy the "classes" folder from my local machine to the remote
one, I get the following messages:

First: A dialog saying "This folder already contains a folder named
'weblogic'. If the files in the existing folder have the same name .... Do
you still want to move or copy the folder? <YES> <YES TO ALL> <NO>
<CANCEL>".

Hitting yes brings up a dialog: "The D:\weblogic\classes\weblogic folder
does not exist, do you want to create it? <YES> <NO>".

Hitting yes again brings up: "Cannot copy Admin: Cannot find the specified
path. Make sure you specify the correct path. <OK>".

After all this, the remote "weblogic" folder just contains an empty
"classes" folder.

Now it seems like a straightforward problem...somehow there's a naming
collision with folders containing other folders of the same name. However,
at this point I can manually create the remote "weblogic\classes\weblogic"
folder in Explorer, copy the Admin.class file to it, and everything looks
fine.

Therefore:

1. It only seems to occur doing bulk copies of files. It crashes the
weblogic and other installations, and it prevents Explorer from copying the
folders from my system to the remote one.
2. It doesn't happen with Samba 2.0.x I have running on my BSD box.
Unfortunately the Samba 2.2 on Linux is quite a bit faster, and I'd rather
use that.

I've tried turning off kernel oplocks, and oplocks completely, but it did
not help. I'm lost as to what the problem might be.

Once again, stats:

Client system: Win2k SP2, IE 5.5, all up-to-date
Server system: Debian Linux "woody", 2.2 kernel, 2.2.1a Samba
Share: My home directory, mapped to "D:" on my local system

PLEASE HELP!! :)

- Charlie