smbfs very slow

Hactar eben at gate.net
Thu Oct 4 16:43:02 GMT 2001

On Thu, 4 Oct 2001, Urban Widmark wrote:

> On Thu, 4 Oct 2001, Hactar wrote:
>
> > No.  It hangs regardless (presumably in the same place).
>
> Ok, I have other reports of things failing with longer dir listings /
> larger dircache operations. I'll probably do some ls/find tests this
> weekend.

Thanks.

> How much memory does the linux box have?

Mem:        384984     381780       3204          0       3700     286516
-/+ buffers/cache:      91564     293420
Swap:       103312       1844     101468

> And does it improve things if you try to minimize your memory use?

I'm already using little RAM (no Gnome or other RAM-suckers).  When I exit
X and its associated hangers-on:

Mem:        384984     327248      57736          0       2604     292656
-/+ buffers/cache:      31988     352996
Swap:       103312       1788     101524

same effect.

> > I see that too, 141 of them to 113 "110"s.
>
> How far apart?

(h:mm) 0:35, 1:00, 0, 8:04, 0:27, ... really no pattern that I can
discern.  Some of those intervals (8:04?) I may not have had the share
mounted, though.

> And do they relate to the mount being idle?

The mount is never idle, in that there is always some action pending.  No
action _completes_ for long periods of time, so it may be idle, depending
on your definition of "idle".  I can never get it to behave for more than
a few seconds at a time, in order to do anything substantial with the
shares.

I started a process reading from a share.  It was producing messages on
the quarter-hour.  I hit ^C, and the process exited about when a message
was logged (+/- 1s).  No further messages were produced, even though the
share stayed mounted.  No activity took place to the share.  In that time
(between mount and ^C) the errors reported were three 104s and one 110.

--
-eben             eben at gate.net           http://home.tampabay.rr.com/hactar/

An idea that is not dangerous is unworthy of being called an idea at all.
  -Oscar Wilde