Joining NT domain

T. William Schmidt wschmidt at starband.net
Mon Oct 1 17:23:02 GMT 2001

Hello All,

I am struggling to get a Samba 2.2.1a server to join our NT domain.  I have
read DOMAIN_MEMBER.html and it is very clear.  My smb.conf borrows security
expressions from two other SAMBA servers that behave perfectly
correctly.  However, when I do:

         smbpasswd -j CORP -r CORP01

as root on AIX 4.3.2 I get:

cli_net_auth2: Error NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED
cli_nt_setup_creds: auth2 challenge failed
modify_trust_password: unable to setup the PDC credentials to machine
CORP01.  Error was : NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED.
2001/10/01 17:00:18 : change_trust_account_password: Failed to change
password for domain CORP.
Unable to join domain CORP.

I know my Samba server is in the CORP domain.  I can see it with:

netdom /d:CORP member | grep TESTSMB1 (the name of this particular
instance).  My instructions to our NT Admin for defining this server's
netBIOS name in the PDC were quoted right out of Using Samba, pg 171.

We have three Samba servers, CORPSMB1, ENSDSMB1 and TESTSMB1 and only
TESTSMB1 refuses to join the domain.  I can see no differences in these
three and our guy who maintains the PDC assures me all three are configured
identically.

What other tests might I perform to reveal why TESTSMB1 is balking at
joining the domain?  Are there any tests that can be performed on the PDC
that would validate the machine account?  Can I ask the NT guy to look at
any NT logs on the PDC that might explain this behavior?

Regards,
Will Schmidt
SW Engineer/Consultant
Kipe & Associates       currently on assignment @ Freightliner LLC