help

Sunny Dubey dubeys at bxscience.edu
Mon Oct 1 16:23:02 GMT 2001

hey,

I'm not too sure if this is the proper mailing list for this, but from what I
read, it is.

Is there some "idiot-proof" HOWTO/doc/etc for sharing a simple hard drive
under windows to a linux client?

On a win2k machine, I have the "d drive" shared as a share called SEC.
However when I try to mount the drive on linux (using the following command)
it just says failed ...

bash-2.05# mount -t smbfs -o username=family,password=family //main/sec
/mnt/smb/
1025: Connection to main failed
SMB connection failed

however ... at the same time I know my linux box can see the share with the
following command ...

bash-2.05$ smbclient -L 172.16.1.25 -U family
added interface ip=172.16.1.9 bcast=172.16.1.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
session request to 172.16.1.25 failed (Called name not present)
session request to 172 failed (Called name not present)
Password:
Domain=[WORKGROUP] OS=[Windows 5.0] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]

        Sharename      Type      Comment
        ---------      ----      -------
        IPC$           IPC       Remote IPC
        D$             Disk      Default share
        sec            Disk
        ADMIN$         Disk      Remote Admin
        C$             Disk      Default share

        Server               Comment
        MAIN

        Workgroup            Master
        WORKGROUP            MAIN

anyone know whats going on??

thank you very much in advance for any help that you may provide.

Sunny Dubey
nyc