passwd chat problem

Oliver Six o.six at cahos.net
Fri Nov 30 05:51:05 GMT 2001

Phil Chambers <P.A.Chambers at exeter.ac.uk> wrote on 30.11.2001 12:59:28:

>I could not find any reference to this in the list archive.
>
>I am setting up SAMBA on an IRIX system.  The passwd command does not say
>"Password changed" or similar at the end, it just ends.  However, if the
>command fails for any reason (unable to get a lock on the passwd file, for
>example) it does report that.
>
>My problem is that I cannot see any way to get the passwd chat string to
>handle that situation.  The chat string only covers the output expected
>when the command succeeds, so must end with "." because no output is
>produced when the password changes OK.  That means that expect() in
>smbd/chgpasswd.c just returns after issuing the last string and does not
>wait to see if an error message is returned.
>
>This results in the SAMBA password being changed when the UNIX change
>fails!
>
>Does anyone have a work-around for this?
>
>Phil.

Hi Phil,

how about creating a shell script around passwd and 'grep'ing the result?

Ciao Oliver
--
Good programming is 40% experience, 30% skill, 20% RTFM, 10% caffeine, and
5% attention to detail.

Oliver Six, CEO
CAHOS GmbH, Cimbernstr. 51, Germany 81377 Muenchen
Phone +49 89 71 01 93 40,  Fax +49 89 71 01 93 41