Sync of samba passwords between two UNIX samba servers possible?

Christian Barth barth at cck.uni-kl.de
Tue Nov 27 07:40:07 GMT 2001

> Hi everyone,
>
> I have set up two seperate AIX4.2.1 samba servers, and due to this, every
> time a user changes his Novell password, they (or more likely, I) have to
> change their passwords on both seperate samba servers (login is duplicating
> the novel/NT login password combination so that the filesystems are mapped
> automatically when they boot up).
>
> My question is :-
>
> Is it possible to synchronise two UNIX samba servers so that one updates
> the samba passwords of the other (A kind of Master/Slave setup, maybe???)?
> If yes, how is it done (detailed)?
>
> If not? Is there an alternative setup method which avoids the duplication
> of password changing at every stage.
>
> I can't really muck around with the NT password system as this is administered
> by another department and the same goes for the UNIX password propagation,
> which is done by Tivoli.
>
> Any useful reponse and tips to this problem would be welcome.
If you use plaintext passwords: use NIS and have the passwords and
accounts syncted.
If you use encrypted passwords: use NIS for the accounts and set
"password server = xyz" in smb.conf in on of the servers, probably
the NIS slave.
If you want fault tolerance (network failier, working second if the
first stopps...) you can use rsync.

Christian