Protecting files - help?

Matt Claridge matt.claridge at breconbeacons.org
Tue Nov 27 05:08:03 GMT 2001

Hi,

OK, I'm perplexed by this and I know it has to be possible, but having
poured through the Samba docs and various Samba books, I can't find
anything other than what I've tried....

I need to protect certain files within a users home directory, so they
cannot be deleted. Some of these files need to be readable and writeable
so I can't restrict it with Linux file permissions. Basically, the
Windows profile data, Mozilla prefs and stuff like that, is all stored
in a users home directory. They also use this directory for storing a
few files (not much). I need to make sure that they don't delete
anything that the system needs.

I can't use the 'hide files' option because the files and directories
need to be seen by Windows and other programs.

I tried the 'veto files' and 'delete veto files = no' options - so if I
place a vetoed file in, for example, it should protect the directory
from being deleted. But it doesn't. The file itself is vetoed, it
doesn't exist in Windows, but Samba still lets me delete the directory
holding it.

So, anyone got any other ideas how I can accomplish this? I'd really
like to leave the Linux permissions as they are, so if there's a way of
making Samba do this, that would be good.

many thanks in advance,
Matt

--
Matthew Claridge
I.T. Systems Officer
Brecon Beacons National Park Authority
01874 624437 x220
-----------------
The views expressed by the sender of this message don't
necessarily represent those of Brecon Beacons National Park
Authority. This message is intended for the addressee(s) only
and is sent in confidence; if you receive it in error, please can you
let us know (at it at breconbeacons.org) and then destroy all copies.
Nid yw'r farn a fynegir gan anfonwr y neges hon o anghenraid yn
adlewyrchu barn Awdurdod Parc Cenedlaethol Bannau Brycheiniog.
Neges yw hon a fwriadwyd ar gyfer y derbynnydd/derbynyddion
yn unig ac fe'i hanfonir yn gyfrinachol; os ydych yn ei dderbyn
mewn camgymeriad, a fyddech gystal â rhoi gwybod i
ni (yn it at breconbeacons.org) ac yna dilëwch bob copi.