access from win98

Joel Hammer Joel at HammersHome.com
Thu Nov 22 05:26:02 GMT 2001

I am too lazy to look this up, but:
cat /etc/services | grep -i netbios
shows what ports handle requests to smbd and nmbd.
UPD and TCP are used for different requests, so I just open up all three
ports for both protocols. I don't think that is a security breach.
I don't used passwords on my home setup, so, my password knowledge is quite
limited. Have you set up your user on the linux server? And have you enabled
encrypted passwords on your server?
I avoid passwords by using
security = share
guest ok = yes