Samba won't allow PC connections

Joel Hammer Joel at HammersHome.com
Mon Nov 19 14:49:09 GMT 2001

First, walk through DIAGNOSIS.txt in /doc/textdocs <---MOST IMPORTANT.
If that all works, below is my smb.conf which does just what you want.
I do not use the [printer] special share, rather, I list each printer
separately. This keeps things simpler. This printer definition does not filter.
All filtering happens on the windows boxes.

[global]
        netbios name = HAMMER2
        interfaces = 192.168.0.2
        security = SHARE
        guest account = ftp
        hosts allow = 192.168. 127.
        strict sync = Yes
[lp]
        comment = Raw Printer for Z53
        path = /tmp
        create mask = 0700
        guest ok = Yes
        hosts allow = 192.168.
        printable = Yes
        printing = lprng
#       print command = echo "Tried to print %s" > /SPOOL/junk.%s
        print command = /usr/bin/lpr -Plp %s; rm %s
        lpq command = /usr/bin/lpq -Plp
        lprm command = /usr/bin/lprm -Plp %j
        lppause command = /usr/bin/lpc hold -Plp %j
        lpresume command = /usr/bin/lpc release -Plp %j
        printer name = lp
        share modes = No

[AllFiles]
        comment = All Files
        path = /
        read only = No
        guest ok = Yes

My lp in /etc/printcap is:
lp|LP|z53-outfiles:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
        :mx#0:\
        :lp=/dev/lp0:\
        :sh:rw:

I am not certain if the rw does any good (open printer for reading and
writing) but it might. Notice there is no filter in this definition.
Joel