'net use' fails within a logon script on win95b

Sean Trammell strammell at siumed.edu
Thu Nov 15 11:24:05 GMT 2001

I have noticed a very strange problem on a base Windows 95b computer.
On a clean win95b computer with no additional software, the drive
mappings in the logon scripts fail.  The logon script uses 'net use' to
connect the client to a share on the samba server.  The server is
running RH7.1 and Samba 2.2.2.  The samba server is setup as a domain
appliance and uses winbind, passing authentication onto the NT4 PDC.
What happens is this:

1. I log into the domain as a user

2. the domain logon succeeds.

3. the command 'net use t: \\sambaserver\share' fails by asking for
   a password (meaning that the username was not accepted, see
   error log below)

   (mappings on the NT PDC server work fine if that helps)

4. after the computer comes up, I can execute the same 'net use...'
   command and everything works great.  The only time it ever fails
   is in the initial logon script and that seems to only occur on
   Windows 95 clients.

This is written to the samba error logs every time this happens:

[2001/11/14 15:07:59, 0] smbd/password.c:domain_client_validate(1608)
domain_client_validate: unable to validate password for user TESTUSER in
domain  to Domain controller mypdc. Error was
NT_STATUS_WRONG_PASSWORD.

After the word domain there are two spaces and no mention of my domain,
does this mean that the client is not passing along the domain name to
the server?  The most frustrating this is that I managed to find a
Windows 95 computer that works fine and does not display this issue!  Of
course every other win95b computer fails..  I have verified that it
fails for me on a win95b clean install.  Is something misconfigured?

Any help would be appreciated.
-Sean