Unable to join domain

Gerald (Jerry) Carter jerry at samba.org
Thu Nov 15 10:42:04 GMT 2001

On 15 Nov 2001, Eric Wallace wrote:

> jerry at samba.org wrote on 11/14/2001 11:34:00 PM:
> > Hmm....What release do you have?  This should be in the 2.2.2
> > Samba-HOWTO-Collection.pdf file (and in DOMAIN_MEMBER.html)
>
> I'm referring to v2.2.2. The distinction I was suggesting is unclear
> is this: if you add the Samba server name in NT's Server Manager, then
> run "smbpasswd -j DOM -r DOMPDC -UAdministrator%password", it fails.
> (Presumably this is because the NT PDC wants a "null session" for
> syncing the machine password on a pre-created machine account, and if
> the session is authenticated as a domain admin it will try to create a
> machine account with the same name.)

ok.  Now that makes sense.  Actually this is a bug.  smbpasswd -j ...
should be able to overwrite a previous account.

Thanks, jerry
 www.samba.org              SAMBA  Team             jerry_at_samba.org
 www.plainjoe.org                                jerry_at_plainjoe.org
 http://www.hp.com        Hewlett-Packard