Unable to join domain

Gerald (Jerry) Carter jerry at samba.org
Wed Nov 14 20:37:08 GMT 2001

On 14 Nov 2001, Eric Wallace wrote:

> (b) just run 'smbpasswd -j DOMAIN -r PDC
> -UAdministrator%yourpasswordhere' with an NT domain admin password.
>
> (Neither the old O'Reilly "Using Samba" book nor the latest "security
> = domain ..." HOWTO make this distinction clear. If whomever wrote the
> docs would like assistance in adding some more detail here, I'd be
> happy to help--I'm getting quite intimate with Samba now!)

Hmm....What release do you have?  This should be in the 2.2.2
Samba-HOWTO-Collection.pdf file (and in DOMAIN_MEMBER.html)

In order to join the domain, first stop all Samba daemons
and run the command:

   root# smbpasswd -j DOM -r DOMPDC -UAdministrator%password

cheers, jerry
 www.samba.org              SAMBA  Team             jerry_at_samba.org
 www.plainjoe.org                                jerry_at_plainjoe.org
 http://www.hp.com        Hewlett-Packard