Problem with GID being set to UID for Samba 2.2.2

Patrick Reid p.j.reid at earthling.net
Wed Nov 7 09:34:02 GMT 2001

I wonder if this is at all similar to the problem I have been having. Ever
since I changed a Linux user name by hand-editing /etc/passwd, /etc/shadow
and smbpasswd, my Samba install has been unable to resolve user names in the
list it provides to a Windows 2000 client when that client is changing
access permissions on one of its directories to RID (unless that user has
logged on to that machine before).

This has stayed a problem through an upgrade from 2.2.1a to 2.2.2. I have
been unable to figure it out and am considering completely nuking my Samba
installation and restarting from scratch (youch).

So keep me posted on your efforts; maybe your solution will also work for
me.

Patrick