Problem with GID being set to UID for Samba 2.2.2

Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima tony at cantech.net.au
Wed Nov 7 00:20:34 GMT 2001

On Wed, 7 Nov 2001, Indulis Bernsteins wrote:

> But there's this one little  problem, the GID for a recognised user is
> being set to an unknown group.  It looks like the GID is being set to be
> equal to the UID, or it is being set to the user's *original* GID (which
> samba has cached away somewhere).

in /etc/passwd.  See below.

> ======================snip snip snip ============================
> /etc/passwd

<snip>

> indulis:x:500:500:Indulis Bernsteins:/home/indulis:/bin/bash
> pbabern:x:501:502::/home/pbabern:/bin/bash
               ^^^^^ This is why the GID is being set.  Thats what its s'posed
to do :)

If you want to set a users primary group do it in /etc/passwd.  secondary
groups are done in /etc/group

> [pbabern]
>         comment = %U home directory
>         writeable = yes
>         valid users = pbabern
>         path = %H

Unrelated but try using the "[homes]" share:
[homes]
   comment = %U Home Directory
   browseable = no
   writable = yes

Then any user on the system will automagically have one.

> [d]

<snip>

> [e]

<snip>