smb and win98

Joel Hammer Joel at HammersHome.com
Tue Nov 6 04:34:08 GMT 2001

Yes. This is called I believe cross network browsing.
I think you need to make your samba box a wins server, but, read about it in
the free book in the samba sources.
Here is what I have in my global section for a wins server.

[global]
        netbios name = JHAMMER6
        server string = Samba %v Your Server
        security = SHARE
        log level = 1
        os level = 100
        preferred master = True
        domain master = True
        wins support = Yes
        guest account = ftp
        read only = No
        guest ok = Yes
        hosts allow = 192.168. 127. 24.3.9.474 24.152.186.37
        veto files = /*.{*}/

Note: In hosts allow, I need to allow a double homed gateway machine to
attach, and I am not sure if I need those 24.xxx addresses or not, but I use
them any way.
You have to configure your windows clients to use the wins server. But, this
solved all my network neighborhood problems.
Joel