swat

Anthony aslan at ispdr.net.au
Sun Nov 4 13:48:10 GMT 2001

Comments to follow...

At 08:39 a 5/11/2001, it was written:

>I cannot get swat to work for samba 2.2.2-2
>
>This is my xinetd file
>#
># Simple configuration file for xinetd
>#
># Some defaults, and include /etc/xinetd.d/
>
>defaults
>{
>          instances               = 60
>         log_type                = SYSLOG authpriv
>         log_on_success           = HOST PID
>         log_on_failure           = HOST
>}
>
>includedir /etc/xinetd.d
>
>swat   stream  tcp  nowait.400  root  /usr/sbin/swat  swat
>
>This is my xinetd.d/swat file
>
># default: off
>#              to configure your Samba server. To use SWAT, \
>#              connect to port 901 with your favorite web browser.
>service swat
>{
>          port    = 901
>          socket_type     = stream
>          wait    = no
>          #only_from = localhost
>          user    = root
>          server  = /usr/sbin/swat
>          log_on_failure  += USERID
>          #disable = yes
>}

I tried getting Swat to work just last night, and I succeeded in the end!
Here's my /etc/xinetd.d/swat file:

### Begin /etc/xinetd.d/swat
service swat
{
         disable = no
         port    = 901
         socket_type = stream
         wait    = no
         user    = root
         server  = /usr/sbin/swat
         server_args = -s /etc/samba/smb.conf
}
### End /etc/xinetd.d/swat

I also had to turn off the local proxy server settings in Netscape, as it
needs a direct connection to the local machine. It took me longer than it
should have to realise that. ;) I'm no Samba expert, but I got Swat to
work, which is why I'm offering you my configuration. And just for the
record, I'm using RedHat 7.1 with Samba 2.2.2-20011013. I hope this helps!

Anthony