"not authorized to login" and libpam-mysql

Danie Roux droux at tuks.co.za
Thu Nov 1 08:16:03 GMT 2001

Hi all,

I get the error message "not authorized to login from this station".

This is not fixed as suggested in past posts (encrypt = no,
NT4_plainpassword.reg).

I have libpam-mysql installed. And it never even gets called for
authentication from the NT machine! If I connect from the local PC with

smbclient //server/share password -U user

I get the following in syslog (I turned on debugging and added the "I'm
being called" syslog entry):

# I put in this call to syslog to make sure the functions get called:
Nov  1 15:28:59 server smbd[1725]: I'm being called!
Nov  1 15:29:00 server last message repeated 3 times
Nov  1 15:29:00 server smbd[1725]: pam_mysql: select user from auth where
user='user' and passwd='passwd'

So pam-mysql gets do to it's work. And I can connect successfully.

Connecting from a NT machine however leaves nothing in syslog! Why does
samba not ask pam-mysql to authenticate?

If I don't use pam, it works perfectly. Here is my /etc/pam.d/samba:

auth    optional        pam_mysql.so ... options to mysql
account required        pam_mysql.so ... options to mysql

--
Danie Roux *shuffle* Adore Unix