forced profiles (was: profile problems in 2.2.0)

Keith Warno keith.warno at valaran.com
Thu May 10 19:36:16 GMT 2001

Alex Collins wrote:

> Keith,
>
> as far as i know, what you want to do is to rename the profile that is
> stored on the Samba PDC \\%N\profiles\<naming method> so that instead of
> NTProfile.dat (i think that is the correct extension) you get NTProfile.man
> (man for MANdatory).
>
> if this is then placed in the profile share (configure this in smb.conf -
> see "logon path" for more info) the NT clients (w2k is nt based) will then
> use this.
>
> hope this helps
>
> alex collins

Forgot to mention: I do not want to make the profiles "mandatory".  I
merely wish to prevent the client from creating it's own local default
profile for the user in the event the user's profile is not already on
the client.  Win2k machines apparently ignore a user's profile on the
PDC if that user does not have a copy of the profile on the client from
which they are logged in.  In this case, the client then proceeds to
create a new local profile for the user -- using default profile values
-- and when the user logs out this profile is deposited on the PDC,
overwritting any profile the user may have had there and any changes he
may have made to it in the past.

I've managed to confuse a number of people trying to explain this in
words.  The best way to demonstrate this issue is like so: Log into a
win2k machine.  Make changes to your profile (wallpaper, colors,
whatever).  Log out.  Log back in to that same machine.  You still have
your wallpaper and color scheme, yes?  Good, you should.  Now walk over
to Joe Schmoe's computer -- a computer that you have NEVER user before
-- and log into the domain.  You will be able to log in, yes, but your
profile has reverted to default values courtesy of win2k.  Now log out
(don't change any profile settings).  Walk back to your computer.  You
think you will see your wallpaper and color scheme when you log in.
Nope.  Log in, and you'll see the default profile once again, which Joe
Schmoe's win2k box happily deposited on the PDC.  Joe Schmoe's win2k box
wouldn't *retrieve* the saved profile from the PDC but it gladly created
a new default profile locally and dropped it on the PDC upon logout.

If it doesn't make sense now it never will.  :)  I'd like to prevent
win2k from doing this sort of thing.  When a user logs in, the client
should *always* attempt to retrieve the profile from the PDC first.  If
it can't get it, the login should either fail (probably preferred) or
attempt to use the local copy.

kw