forced profiles (was: profile problems in 2.2.0)

Keith Warno keith.warno at valaran.com
Thu May 10 16:52:06 GMT 2001

Gerald Carter wrote:

> Keith Warno wrote:
> >
> > What I would like to do is implement forced
> > profiles, ie, force win2k clients to use the profiles
> > that are on the samba PDC as opposed to allowing the
> > win2k clients to create and use local profiles.  I know
> > this can be done in NT4 (the word doc speaks about it)
> > but we're using samba here, not NT4.  ;-)  Can samba do this
> > sort of thing and if so, how?
>
> Do you mean you do not want the NT client to cache a
> copy of the roaming profile?  I can do this on Win9x,
> but have never known it to be done on NT.  Can you send me
> a link to your previous posts in the archive so I can
> review them.

No no.  I *do* want the win2k client to cache the profile.  However if
the user's profile does not exist locally on the win2k client -- but
does exist on the samba PDC -- I would like the win2k client to retrieve
the profile from the PDC an use it (and of course cache it locally).
What has been happening is if the profile does not exist locally on the
win2k client, win2k will create and use a new local profile for the
user, regardless of whether or not the user already has a profile on the
PDC.  Keep in mind that the local profile win2k has created and used
consists of default settings (ie, those of the locally configured
"Default User") which is probably not what the user expects to see (the
user may have customized his profile while logged in from another win2k
client and expects to see this profile no matter which client he logs in
from; this is not the case when he logs into a machine that he has *not
logged into before*.  It is under this circumstance that win2k uses
default profile settings.)  Once more, when the user logs out, win2k
will proceed to update his profile on the PDC -- with this new default
profile -- thereby nuking any customizations he may have made previously
from another machine.

In summary, I do NOT want win2k to use default profile settings for a
user under any circumstance.  If the win2k client does not have a local
copy of a user's profile, it should obtain the profile from the PDC and
create a local copy of it.  If it cannot obtain the profile from the
PDC, the login should fail.  AFAIK, this can be done with NT4 by
appending a ".man" extension to the profile *path*.  I do not know if
this sort of thing can be done with win2k.

If any NT/samba gurus out there have some more insight, please asist.
Thanks.

kw