No response from the port 137

MCCALL,DON (HP-USA,ex1) don_mccall at hp.com
Thu May 10 14:31:39 GMT 2001

Hello Eric,
I wouldn't be concerned that telnet computername 137 does not work;
in fact I would expect you to get a connection refused.
If nmbd shows up in your ps listing, and if you look at the log file
log.nmbd  and it DOESN'T complain about being unable to bind to 137,
then it's up!
Hope this helps,
Don

PS - You should also be able to do the simple test

nmblookup <sambaservername>  and get a response....