samba nt and nis

Dirk Maaß dm at hejoe.de
Wed May 9 10:23:49 GMT 2001

Christian Barth wrote:

> > > Yes, if the samba sever is on the same machine then the NIS server

> > > put a "cd /var/yp; make" at the end of the passwd chat.
> > > or let cron do this.
> >
> > I haven't tried this but you can change the password chat to use yppasswd
> > instead of passwd. Then you can use it even in case the samba server is
> > not your NIS master.
>
> In my expirence yppasswd dosen't work: It needs the old password in
> clear text for the chat, even if running as root on the nis-server,
> at last the implementations I know about. And we don't have the old
> password in clear text if unix passwd sync is set to true, see man
> smb.conf

I'm new to samba but 'yppasswd' works for me. It doesn't ask for the old
password.
My NIS-server is running on a Solaris 8 box. The Samba-(2.2) PDC is on
the same
machine (I think that this is necessary).
Here are the entries in smb.conf i use:

  encrypt passwords = yes
  unix password sync = yes
  passwd program = /bin/yppasswd %u
  passwd chat = *password* %n\n *password* %n\n *attributes*changed*

Users can change passwords from w2k-clients. Unix-users have to use
smbpasswd on
the server (that really sucks :-( ) and cannot use 'passwd' on their own
machine.
Perhaps someone else has a good idea how to make this possible.

Dirk Maass
--
HeJoe GmbH * Neustrelitz * Mecklenburg-Vorpommern
Tel. +49 3981 446120 * 0700 HeJoeGmbH