Users able to connect without password?! (2.0.7)

David Lane dlane at egressive.com
Mon May 7 01:39:31 GMT 2001

Sorry to respond to this myself, but I've found my problem with users able to
login without (or with incorrect) passwords...

When I use Webmin's (version 0.80 w/ Linux-Mandrake) Samba module to "Convert
Users" from being listed only in the /etc/passwd file to being listed also in
the /etc/smbpasswd file, there is an option "For newly created users, set
password to:
X - no password
o - account locked
o - use this password _______________

And, by default, it would seem, "no password" is selected.  This means that
any new user added to smbpasswd from /etc/passwd automatically gets the "no
password" option, leading to the problem I encountered.  This may be changed
in more recent versions of Webmin (www.webmin.com).

By simply re-entering the user passwords (either through smbpasswd on the
command line or through the Samba Users screen in Webmin), I was able to set
the proper passwords, which forces users to enter them properly.  Sorry for
the trouble - hope this helps someone else!  Thanks for a great application
that has been very important to my business.  I'm looking forward to
implementing my first Samba 2.2.x installation in the next week or so.
Regards,

Dave