Can I have oplocks enabled without problems?

Nick Demou ndemou at enlogic.gr
Sat May 5 16:18:13 GMT 2001

Hi,

I used to have a win NT to serve small office networks comprised of windows
clients. During the last months I have made a considerable effort to learn
enough about linux in order to explore it's capabilities for that
application. In the area of file & print sharing samba still looks as the
best choice. I am using it in my office for some weeks now and I am quite
happy with it. Yet I had one problem regarding locking that troubled me a
lot (in fact the list helped me a lot in finding the solution):

In my setup with RedHat 7.0 + Samba 2.2 I had to disable oplocks (set
oplocks = no) for shares containing databases (specificaly MS Access ones)
that were accessed simultaneously from more than one windows 98 clients. If
I left it enabled I was getting a lot of "access denied", "this file is
allready in use" and stuff like that. Disabling oplocks solves the problem
but according to the "Using samba" reference lowers performance. Has anybody
any sugestions in order to have both the performance and the stability???

Nick Demou
enLogic