How to select UNIX group of file owner?

Christian Barth barth at cck.uni-kl.de
Sat May 5 12:26:37 GMT 2001

> Hi all,
> I am newbe to Samba - I have just installed it to open ClearCase VOBs
> and Views for NT users.
> I have made some investigations till now but can't find the answer for
> questions:
> Q1. When I create new file on NT site - I create it on Samba share - it
> will be created on UNIX side
> with me as an owner. But what will be the GID of this file? I suppose my
> primary group.
> So if I am for ex. 'latuszek' with primary group 'main' file will be
> like:
> -rwxr-xr-x   1 latuszek    main       1708 Apr 27 16:45 file
> Am I right?
> (sorry if question is stupid but here is more clever one - I hope)
You are right.

> Q2. Lets suppose I belong to other group called 'other'. I would like to
> create my files from NT, on Samba share,
> but in such a way that these files will have GID 'other' - it means,
> they will appear on UNIX side in form:
> -rwxr-xr-x   1 latuszek    other       1708 Apr 27 16:45 file
> How to do it with Samba? How to configure Samba to make it possible?
You can do this on a "per directory" base: For each directory you can
select the group of new files and directories:

In Unix do a "chmod g+s directory" and in smb.conf set "inherit
permissions = yes". That's all. Additionally there a a couple of
"force group" and similar parameters in smb.conf.

Christian