printing problem 2.2.0: Can not upload printer driver to the samba server

dax reyes daxreyes at yahoo.com
Thu May 3 02:47:31 GMT 2001

Hello People,

I logged in as administrator at an NT workstation
connected as root to a PC running samba 2.2.0 that acts as PDC.

But when I tried uploading the printer driver for HP LASERJET 5000
I receive these error messages during the process:

Error Access Denied (error # 5)
Source File: C:\Hplj5k\disk1\HPDCMON.DLL
Destination File:\\STUDENT-21\print$\W32X86\HPDCMON.DLL

or

error "The system can not read from the specified device (error # 30)

Source File: c:\C:\Hplj5k\disk2\HPBXLK7.HL_
Destination File:\\STUDENT-21\print$\W32X86\HPBXLK7.HLP

When I tried to look at /usr/local/samba/printers/W32X86
there are lots of 0 bytes *.tmp (i think) files.

Also I do not know what should be the dir/file permissions to be set
on the directory printers (/usr/local/samba/printers for print$)
and its underlying subdirectory.

PDC: samba 2.2.0 on Mandrake 8.0 (STUDENT-21)
Printer: HP LaserJet 5000 connected to a remote Linux Box
Clients: NT 4.0 sp 5

Also
here is part of my smb.conf

[global]

netbios name = STUDENT-21
workgroup=MATHSTUDENT
domain admin group = @grntdomadm
domain logons = yes
encrypt passwords = yes
security = user
os level = 65
preferred master = Yes
domain master = Yes
local master = yes
wins support = Yes
logon path = \\%N\profiles\%u
logon script = scripts\%U.bat

#*************PROBLEMS HERE**************
[print$]
path = /usr/local/samba/printers
guest ok = yes
browsable = yes
read only = yes
write list = grntdomadm

[printers]
comment = All Printers
printing = cups
path = /var/spool/samba
browsable = yes
guest ok =  yes
printable = yes
print command = lpr-cups -P %p -o raw %s -r
lpq command = lpstat -o %p
lprm command = cancel %p-%j