session request to *SMBSERVER failed (Called name not present)

David W. Chapman Jr. dwcjr at inethouston.net
Sat Mar 31 17:19:37 GMT 2001

Using the ip address used to work because what if the client you are trying
to connect for isn't in the wins database(ie you're accessing a remote
computer over the internet)?

When I do connect, I have to use smbclient \\\\computername\\share
<password> -U user -I ip.address  which isn't a problem, but when I try to
list a directory I get

ERRDOS - ERRnoaccess (Access denied.) listing \*

                32881 blocks of size 131072. 8561 blocks available
smb: \>

I can change directories fine, but that's about it and under windows my
username and password has full access to that share.