Win98 Incorrect Password Problem

Rory O'Connor rory at elaris.com
Wed Mar 28 03:37:37 GMT 2001

Please pardon me if this has been solved already and I missed it, I am new
to the list.
I'm getting "Incorrect Password" from win98se when trying to connect to my
linux machine (running samba).
Apparantly this is a common problem because there is a fix on the microsoft
site.  but their recommended fix is to install the CHAP protocol, which I
cannot find any information about.

I don't really want to send plain text passwords over my network, but I
tried it just to see if it would work and it did not....which leads me to my
next question...where is samba getting it's username from?  my windows98
computer name?  I'm only getting a password prompt, nothing about username.

The only way I could get it to work is to change the samba security to
"share" level...which isn't the safest.

thanks!

rory